Saturday, March 31, 2012

Popcorn Blossoms

By definition, today I am the older gentlemen who reads a book, wears the dark grey suit with a matching hat, he sits on a chair and smiles at strangers as he asks them what floor they need to go to. He ushers them in mentioning the weather, swipes his card and pushes a button, he steps out of the elevator and watches the doors close. He sits on his char, opens his book and waits for the next stranger who needs him!

Today I am "elevator girl"!

The thing is I get to experience the person. Some drink their coffee and focus on their iPhones others smile and ask me what my name is. I like people!

People are a species of their own. Some are interactive, they make you feel important for two minutes as they ride up the elevator. Some people want to be important. I used to be afraid of the people who never show their teeth, you know the ones, they hide from your eyes, as if you aren't there. They're so afraid that if we lock eyes I might start singing or worse I might say hello. The thing is, they can't hide from me! I will find them and I will at least say hi! I will bless their sneezes and I will talk about how much I love the popcorn popping on every tree outside followed by the story of my youth and how I thought it really was popcorn!

I hope people think it's nice to know if I see you I'll ask you random questions or if you're lucky I'll compliment your watch or your shoes because I think they're cute!

I'll do this not to annoy you, but to interact with you! It's what I was taught and it has taken me 23 years to embrace it.

I learned it this from my dad. He talks to everyone. It doesn't matter who you are. You could be a Golden Globe winner or a farmer from the south, no matter what he will still talk to you because you are worth it!

Along time ago I used to rely on others to talk to me and then one day decided I could't wait around!

Love love love,
Krystal Dey

P.S. Next time your in an elevator say hello!

No comments: